My name is Emil Tiedemann and I love writing about the things that make me happy in life, such as music, my hometown, and my strange obsession with horror cinema.
I am a writer, blogger, graphic designer, and amateur photographer from Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, where I run an award-winning blog (I Heart Edmonton), published my first five books (including the best-selling The Ultimate Edmonton Trivia Book), and never ran a marathon! I also worked as a freelance journalist with the national Indigenous newspaper Windspeaker, and I previously served as the Communications Director of the Edmonton Pride Festival Society.
I am in my 40s now and I am currently in the process of embracing a 2.0 version of myself, because I believe self-improvement is a necessity for a happy and healthy life. That's where you can follow along with me and my "journey," through my blog The Overhaul, where I hope to share my thoughts and experiences with anyone who gives a shit.
Here are some times people in the media reached out to me for a story...
- The Crash & Mars Show dedicated a segment to reading questions from my Ultimate Edmonton Trivia Book on NOW! Radio (2:02:20) (2/23/2022).
- Alberta PrimeTimes interview with Lucy Haines about my new book, The Ultimate Edmonton Trivia Book (2/16/2022).
- CBC Edmonton Radio interview with Mark Connolly and Tara McCarthy about my new book, The Ultimate Edmonton Trivia Book (1/19/2022).
- Global News Morning interview with Lisa MacGregor about my new book, The Ultimate Edmonton Trivia Book (2021) (1/8/2022).
- Transforming Edmonton interview with Sandra Sperounes about my experience taking the UofA's 'Indigenous Canada' online course in 2020 (9/29/2021).
- 630 CHED interview with Reid Wilkins about my Change.org petition to have the downtown community arena renamed after the late Joey Moss (10/30/2020).
- Edmonton Journal interview with Anna Junker about my Change.org petition to have the downtown community area renamed after Joey Moss (10/27/2020).
- CTV interview with Steven Dyer about my Change.org petition to have the downtown community area renamed after Joey Moss (10/27/2020).
- CityTV interview with Courtney Theriault about my Change.org petition to have the downtown community arena renamed after Joey Moss (10/27/2020).
- CBC interview with Kyle Muzyka about a local group I was apart of called 'The Humans of Edmonton Experience,' which was focused on sharing stories of mental health/awareness, homelessness, hope, and positivity (1/9/2018).
- Edmonton Journal interview with Stephen Cook about 'The Humans of Edmonton Experience' art/social media collective I was apart of, with Jerry Cordeiro, Joy Zylstra, and Neil Kennedy (1/5/2018).
- Edmonton Journal interview with Samantha McKay about my "30-Day #buyyeg Challenge" initiative, which encouraged Edmontonians to buy local as much as possible for 30 days (2/24/2016).
- St. Albert Today interview with Scott Hayes about the 2015 Edmonton Pride Festival, as a Board member of the Edmonton Pride Festival Society (6/6/2015).
- Gay Calgary interview with Krista Sylvester about the 2015 Edmonton Pride Festival, as I was a Board member of the Edmonton Pride Festival Society from 2014-16 (5/2015).